Wednesday, January 17, 2007

do not let these men pull your teeth:

A friend of mine is in Italy right now, and just mentioned that she might be going to Bergamo, which really tickled me, because Bergamo's regarded as the home of Arlecchino and Brighella, two of the most popular zanni from the Commedia Dell'Arte. I've never actually seen a Commedia performance, but I think I got really interested in it from seeing paintings by Watteau and Picasso.

The above is a little drawing of Pulcinella, another popular zanni associated with Napoli, and Arlecchino. For a long time I really wanted to make a computer game about the characters of the Commedia, but it (surprisingly) didn't go anywhere. If you're reading this and you're in some way shape or form in a position to make computer games, feel free to steal my idea. It's totally public-domain!
At any rate, Pulcinella is also down there to the left also, looking much more sinister with a bird on his back. Pulcinella I feel is much more wicked than Arlecchino, and eventually evolved into the British character Punch, who is famous for beating his wife and killing his baby, and then tricking the devil too.
I know I have many more Commedia doodles, but apparently none on my computer.

I've got to go do my homework now, but if I'm still alive and kicking, I might update again tonight with Hellboy drawings!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.

1:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home